Paying It Forward

Right now, I'm no longer Broke AF.

There was a time when I was worried about where my next meal was going to come from, and I know that fear. I understand that sinking feeling in the pit of the stomach, that throbbing in the temple, that tightening of the chest. It happened when:

-I scraped the last bit of baby formula out of the bottom of the can.
-I heard the distinctive snap that was the serpentine belt on our (free) van.
-I was diagnosed with a new illness or allergy.
-My kids were diagnosed with a new illness or allergy.
-My husband got laid off.
-My bank sent me an overdraft notice.
-The strap broke on my last bra.
-A hole formed in the bottom of my favorite multi-purpose shoes.

I was downright offended that so much financial advice was focused on things like, "Stop buying expensive coffee."



Well, pardon the expression, but "No sh**, Sherlock." If we could AFFORD expensive coffee, I'd certainly stop buying it.

"Meanwhile, my kids are growing out of their clothes AGAIN, and your best advice in this seminar or book is to cut the clothing budget? Great. Thanks. Yeah, I'm sure you don't offer refunds."

I learned some things that kept me hopeful and kept me going during the downtimes. Certain habits and practices have stayed with me for years. I hope they'll be useful for you.





Comments